Thursday, August 02, 2012

The Ugly Bracelet

I was recently given the challenge to look at an object I consider beautiful and find its imperfections.  Why would I want to focus on the negative?  Are they really imperfections or are they aspects that complete the object and actually make it "perfect"?  I felt that this challenge needed a twist so I decided to do a switcharoo.  Rather than taking a beautiful object and discover it's imperfections I did exactly the opposite.  I took some of my least favorite beads in my collection and attempted to create something beautiful. 
 

 

I put them all in one section of my bead tray. They came to life.

So I went to work and strung them together.

I finished it with a lobster-claw clasp on each end.

Finally, I attached it to my medical identification tag.


And I created The Ugly Bracelet.

You might think this is such a negative name, but this is how I refer to it when I tell people about it.  It just seems to come naturally.  I created it using beads that at one time did not appeal to me.  They were "ugly" beads and I turned it into something very meaningful.  It's definitely a conversation piece when I tell people what I call it and it makes me smile everytime. :)

I have several interchangeable bracelets I've made for my medical identification tag, but this is the one I wear most often.  Besides the fact that the colors are neutral and match almost anything I wear, when I look at it I think of the beach.  I think of the colors and textures of the sand and seashells.  It reminds me of sitting on the beach and watching the ocean.  It brings to me a lot of peace. 

Stephanie loved the beach, so I wear her memory when I wear this bracelet.  It is also a reminder that with a little bit of effort and creativity the negative can be turned into a positive. Like countless others, I do have my share of medical needs.  However, when I look at this bracelet I'm reminded that these are all just the beads of life contributing to the bigger picture.  When strung together they take on a whole new meaning.

10 comments:

  1. An Ugly Bracelet :D I would actually pay for something like that, it is so earthy. Great idea for the interchangeable pieces for the medical ID as well. Love the artsy ideas you have. Great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the others, I like the bracelet. Are you aware that they have jewelry contests for the ungliest this or that, my daughter entered one a couple of years back. This one would not fit the catagory though. (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your switcharoo! I'd much rather take something considered ugly and change it so that it is perceived as pretty. Your former ugly beads have come together and as a favorite ID bracelet they are no longer unattractive, but pretty and functional and they make you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bracelet - and sea glass was the first thing I saw when I was looking at the beads...very creative, Meezan! Very very cool way to dress up a medical bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugly is just a word. I like how meaning is more subtle than that. Like magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that bracelet looks really nice. It's amazing how you can take nothing and make something out of it. That makes you a true artist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that bracelet. The first thing I thought of was how much I like the neutral colors as my wardrobe tends to the classic style, I think that's what it's called. The type of clothes that Diane Keaton generally wears - solid neutrals.

    Are all of your creations one of a kind or do you make duplicates of any?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you,everyone! Most of my creations are one-of-a-kind. Occasionally, I have enough of the same kinds of beads to make duplicates. :)

    ReplyDelete