Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tuesday's Tip - Practice Yoga



Are you wondering if yoga is right for you?  After you read this blog post I hope to answer that question with a resounding, "YES!  Yoga is for me!"


How I got interested in Yoga
2010 was a life-changing year for me.  In addition to retiring on disability, my best friend since pre-school passed away.  It took me a long time to adjust to life without a job and without my best friend.  Yoga was one of the first steps I took in moving on.  I had heard about it for a long time and I knew a few people who were benefiting from it.  I decided to try one of the poses at home and I discovered I was able to do it and benefit from it "my way".  I decided to go online to see if any classes were being offered in my area.  I chose to look for a class rather than doing yoga at home for two main reasons.  One was I wanted a way to get out and socialize with other people.  The other reason was because I felt an instructor would be able to guide me since I'm not able to do a lot of the poses the traditional way.


A Welcoming Atmosphere
When I found the yoga center online I called to find out if I would be a good fit for any of their classes.  I explained that I have spina bifida and I told them what I can and cannot do.  I was told to come in and talk to one of the instructors for Therapeutic Yoga.  The person I spoke to on the phone felt that it could work.

When I went to the yoga center I felt incredibly welcomed.  The yoga instructor who taught and still teaches therapeutics was willing to work with me.  Over the years I've had a few different yoga instructors and they have all welcomed me and worked with me in this way. 


Information from the Internet
I have used the internet a lot to find ways to adapt the poses.  My instructors have always been helpful in this way, but sometimes when I feel I can do things differently I look it up and share it with my instructors.  They've always been willing to accommodate me when I want to try something new.

Sometimes when I'm not able to make it to class, like when the weather is bad, I find videos online that I can follow.  Since my instructors have helped me find ways to modify the poses I use what I've learned when I follow along with the videos.


Five Benefits of Yoga
1.  Self-awareness
2.  Stress relief 
3.  Better Balance
4.  Better Posture
5.  Increased Strength

All of these lead to better overall health, the biggest and most important benefit of all.

Are you now convinced that yoga is for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment