Friday, December 28, 2012

Remembering 2012


Along the path of the Walk-n-Roll for Spina Bifida
It's hard to believe another year is coming to a close since Stephanie's passing in 2010.  At the end of 2010 I remember feeling guilty about starting a new year without her.  It just didn't feel right.  At the end of 2011 I remember thinking, "Wow.  I can't believe I made it one full year without her."  What I came to realize in 2012 is that I'm not without her. Her spirit lives on and Stephanie will always be a part of my life.

2012 was a year of healing, growth, and new adventures.  Stephanie's continued presence in my life has inspired me to try new things and to enjoy the basic pleasures of life.  Quite honestly, I'm not at the emotional point of where I'd like to be.  Perhaps I'll never be.  That's o.k., though, because once you've reached your destination your journey has ended.  This is not what life is to me.  It's about continued growth.  So while I may never reach that ultimate point of contentment in this life, I know that each day is another opportunity to  learn, heal and grow.  That alone is a reason to get up in the morning and face the day with gusto and gratitude.  That is happiness.

My nephew insisted we make monster cupcakes for him.
Here are a few of my standout "happies" from 2012.

1.  Yoga
I was introduced to the practice of yoga late in 2011.  The few poses I did on my own were challenging, but beneficial.  I could tell I would build strength and improve my balance if I continued to this with some guidance.  I searched on line for yoga centers and found one closeby.  Each semester they offer a week of free classes, so I decided to try the therapeutics yoga in early January 2012.  When I called to get more information this was the one that was recommended for me.  I was impressed not only with yoga itself, but also with the instructor.  She was willing to work with me and that makes all the difference in the world.  Therapeutics is a very small class which allows for much individualized instruction.  Not only has yoga improved my balance and strengthened my muscles, it has made me more aware of what I can and cannot do.  More often than not I'm amazed at what I can do.  Therapeutics is a perfect fit for me and I plan on continuing with it well into the future.

2.  Blog
Castle in the Sky Beaded Charm Bracelet
I launched my Etsy business, StringtownBeads on July 25, 2011, exactly one year after Stephanie's passing.  Since then I've made it my annual goal to "bring something to life" on that date.  This year it was my blog.  This has allowed me to have a creative outlet besides my beading.  I love to write and I love to share what I write. 

3.  Family Events
In the summer my niece made her regular July trip to visit.  We enjoyed beading together, going to the movies, dining out, and spending time at home with my brother's family.  In September my youngest nephew was born, and in October we celebrated my oldest nephew's third birthday.  It was a beautiful fall day which made me feel like a kid again.  I enjoyed being among nature in the park and swinging on the swing set.  I think I probably had just as much fun as the birthday boy did.

Mom's Birthday Card
Dad's Birthday Cake
During the summer I simultaneously planned separate surprise birthday parties for my parents.  For my mom we had a not so quiet gathering at home.  It was during Ramadan, so it was a joyous occasion for more reasons than one.  About 50 family members gathered at my parents' house to celebrate.  In September we celebrated my dad's 70th birthday at a local favorite Indian restaurant.  Both my mom and my dad were surprised and grateful for their respective celebrations.  Good times were had by all. 


4.  Walk-n-Roll
In October I participated in the Walk-n-Roll for Spina Bifida.  This is an annual event that raises money and awareness for people like me who are living with spina bifida.  The money goes to research and care for us.  It was a beautiful fall day in a local park.  We walked and in my case rolled in my wheelchair on the mile-long trail.  We then enjoyed brunch at a local restaurant.  My youngest nephew who was one month young at the time even attended!

5.  Etsy Team
In August I was invited to join a Maryland Promotions team on Etsy and a few months later I was asked to become a team leader.  I gladly accepted.  From this team I have gained practical knowledge about owning an Etsy business and I have gained friendships that are sure to last a lifetime.  All of this has breathed new life into my shop.

What a great year!  I can't wait to see which beads of life we string together in 2013!

6 comments:

  1. Meezan, great post! How inspiring and uplifting! May 2013 be your best year ever! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful retrospect of 2012. May 2013 bring you even more joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a terrific year Meezan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I bet we can all find elements of joy in the past year!

      Delete