Friday, May 15, 2015

Five for Friday - Benefits of Walking

Many of us are aware that walking is good for our health.  Sometimes when those benefits are not immediately visible, it can be discouraging.  I am hoping my daily walks improve my cholesterol and blood sugar, but I won't know that until my next scheduled blood test.

In the meantime, there are some benefits that I have noticed without having had a blood test yet.  Here are five of those benefits:

1.  Improved Concentration - Sometimes when the afternoon slump hits I take a walk instead of taking a nap.  When I return I'm more alert and able to focus on what needs to be done.

2.  Improved Emotional State of Mind - After a walk I am better able to deal with difficult situations in a rational way.

3.  Increased Awareness - I have been living in the same building for over ten years, but only now am I noticing certain things - different species of birds, plants, trees, and even the layout of the environment.

4.  Increased Strength and Stamina - Since I started taking almost daily walks about six weeks ago, I'm able to walk for longer periods of time and at a faster pace.  I'm able to do much more than I ever thought I'd be able to.  When I first started taking regular walks, I thought my limit was 10-15 minutes.  Even then I was able to walk for at least 20 minutes when I actually put it to the test.  Now, sometimes 30-45 minutes goes by without me even realizing it!

5.  Increased Confidence - I've become much more confident in what I'm capable of doing and this confidence filters into other areas of my life.

How does walking benefit you?  Have you noticed any of these benefits?  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment