Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Story Behind StringtownBeads

In 2007 I was looking for a unique shower gift for my soon-to-be sister-in-law. I wanted to give her something nobody else would give her. I remembered that my best friend had a jewelry making kit.

2010 was a life-changing year. On July 25th my best friend since pre school passed away. She was the one who sparked my interest in beading and it was something we both grew to love. In addition to her passing in 2010 I also retired on disability. I spent the following year mourning the loss of my best friend and not knowing what to do with my life.

Once I got back on my feet I started beading again and I found I could use it as a way to remember Stephanie. On July 25, 2011, one year after her passing I opened StringtownBeads in Stephanie's memory. Stringtown comes from the main technique I use - stringing. I feel that we opened StringtownBeads together. I am also committed to raising awareness for Spina Bifida. Stephanie and I were both born with Spina Bifida.

 The banner you see on my shop homepage represents our story. When Stephanie passed away I was given her bead collection. One day while going through her collection I found the necklace you see pictured on my shop banner. It was already strung, but it did not yet have the clasp secured. I completed the necklace Stephanie had begun and decided to use the image for my shop banner.  It represents closure, yet new beginnings.

StringtownBeads is more than just a shop. It's a symbol of strength. I turned a tragedy into something positive and I hope to inspire others to do the same. It touches me to know that Stephanie and I can reach people all over the world with our story.

And so it began. I fell in love with beading and it became a favorite hobby for both of us. In addition to making jewelry as gifts for others, we began to create our own pieces. It was something I did when I wasn't grading papers or planning my lessons, as I was an elementary school teacher at the time.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/StringtownBeads

1 comment:

  1. I love the beautiful friendship that you and Stephanie still share. You have a lovely, strong, generous heart, Meezan. :)

    ReplyDelete