Friday, March 27, 2015

Five for Friday - Decluttering Your Schedule

The decluttering series continues!  Today's post is about decluttering your schedule.

1.  Make a list of the top three things you need or want to get done on a given day.  If you must list more than three, then list them and circle only three items that are top priority.  Get those three things done and if you have time work on everything else you listed.  Highlighting just three at a time helps maintain focus on what's important at any given time.

I have an app on my phone for this.  I have an ongoing list of things to do.  I uncross (tap) three things each day.  Then I cross it off (tap again) when I've completed that task.  Once I complete the top three items then I work on other things.   At the end of the day I delete tasks that I no longer need to do.  If it's something I'll need to go back to another day (laundry, for example), then I leave it on the list and keep it crossed off until it's time to work on it again.

2.  Write appointments and due dates on your calendar.  Even if something is months away I write it on the calendar (in pencil in case I need to erase it) in the kitchen and put it on the calendar on my phone.  That way I have it when I'm on-the-go as well.  This will help prevent conflicts, especially when you have a lot to schedule.

3 Just say, "No!"  Don't hesitate to decline invitations when necessary.

4.  Set aside time each day to check your email.  When it's not time to check it turn off any notifications that might distract you from getting other things done.  Reading and replying to emails throughout the day can take up a lot of time.  A little time here and a little time there adds up.  This may even cut down on the amount of emails you receive because people will receive you're not glued to it all day. 

5.  Schedule time for yourself monthly, weekly, or daily if possible.  Spending time with yourself and doing only what you want to do will help recharge your internal batteries.  Don't underestimate the value of making time for yourself!

Here are links to the other posts in this series:
What to Declutter
Decluttering Actual Items
Decluttering Technology

How do you declutter your schedule?




No comments:

Post a Comment