Friday, February 13, 2015

Five for Friday - Five Ways to Gain Clarity

Mental Clutter hinders creativity, but it's only human for this to happen sometimes.  Here are some tried and true ways I manage to gain clarity and clear the clutter in my head.  There is no one formula for this and what works one day may not work the next day.  Also, what works for one person may not work for someone else.  It's important to have your own personal "bag of tricks" so that when your brain is on overload you can choose one that may help.  The last thing you want to do when your mind is cluttered is to stress yourself out trying to figure out how to clear that clutter!

1.  Meditate - There are so many ways to do this.  Find a method that works for you.  Even just five minutes a day has proven to help me, but if you can spend more time doing this that's even better.  Those who feel they don't have time to meditate can probably benefit from it the most.

2.  Listen to your body - If you're hungry, eat.  If you're tired, sleep.  Being hungry or tired makes everything seem worse.  If you work full time it may not be possible to take naps during the day, but even if you can just close your eyes and rest for a few minutes it might help.  A 20 minute nap usually helps me.  A nap longer than 20 minutes usually has the opposite effect on me.  I set my alarm, but I almost always wake up just before the alarm goes off.  When you wake up, get up.  It's tough for me at first, but once I'm up I feel so much better.

3.  Exercise - This is the opposite of resting, but I feel it's important to have a good balance between the two.  Exercise on a regular basis, but during those moments when your mind is especially cluttered exercise a little more.  Just keep moving for about 15 minutes.  Take a walk, play with your cat, ride a bike (stationary or otherwise), dance, do yoga...whatever keeps you moving.  You could even do something productive like clean or tidy up.

4.  Phone a friend - Sometimes talking about it helps.  It's a way to process everything that's going on in my head.  Sometimes I just need to vent and sometimes I'm looking for a different perspective on things.  Talk to someone who will simply listen to you or who will give you unbiased advice if that's what you're looking for.

5.  Write it down -   Writing for myself doesn't do much for me, but writing for an audience does.  When I write it's usually for the purpose of sharing my thoughts or getting a different perspective on things.  For many people, though, keeping a personal diary that no one else see helps.  Write the way that works for you!

Let's share some more ideas!  How to you declutter your mind?   

1 comment: