“Life is a train of moods like a string of beads; and as we pass through them they prove to be many colored lenses, which paint the world their own hue, and each shows us only what lies in its own focus.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lentils are an excellent source of lean protein and they have become a regular part of my diet. It's healthy comfort food for me. This is a quick, easy and tasty recipe using dried spices. It can be eaten however you like. With bread or with rice are common options. Lately I have been eating them with just a side of veggies. It's just filling enough for me.
If you want to add more flavor add fresh herbs instead of the dried spices. Prepare ahead of time to soak the lentils for 8 hours before cooking them if that's how you like to eat them. There are some who don't mind making a recipe like this without soaking them and that is quite alright. :-)
1 cup dry green lentils
1/4 cup dry black lentils
1 tsp dried minced garlic
1 tsp dried chopped onions
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup petite diced tomatoes
1 tbsp butter ( I use the real stuff.)
Pinch of salt
1. Soak lentils for about 8 hours.
2. Boil water. Fill the pot so that it will cover the lentils about a half inch above.
3. Add lentils and tomatoes. Stir. Let it boil on medium high for approximately fifteen minutes.
4. Add garlic.
5. Add onions after two minutes.
6. Add cumin and coriander after two more minutes.
7. Let it simmer until it boils down. There should still should be some broth.