Thursday, March 21, 2013

Homemade Pizza

Pizza is a great way to pack in those veggies.  I love to eat it especially on nights when I'm home watching hockey games.  Sure, you can have one delivered from the local pizza place, but it's healthier and less expensive to make it yourself.  Plus you have total control of what goes on it!  There are so many different ways to change it to meet your needs.  Load it up with whichever veggies you prefer!

So far I have not discovered a pizza crust recipe that works for me, so I buy the crust. I tried this recipe with pureed spinach instead of tomato sauce recently.  It was good, but I think I needed to season the spinach a little.  It would have been my personal perfect pizza if I had done that!

Here is the recipe I use most often.

 *Choose organic whenever possible.*

INGREDIENTS - HOMEMADE SAUCE
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 small can of diced tomatoes
minced garlic flakes, sprinkled
dried basil, sprinkled
black pepper, sprinkled
onion flakes, sprinkled

DIRECTIONS - HOMEMADE SAUCE
Just cook everything in a pot on the stove (medium heat) for approximately 20 minutes!  With this recipe you will have leftover sauce.  Refrigerate it and make another pizza another day or use it for another recipe.

INGREDIENTS - PIZZA
1 store-bought 7-inch whole wheat pizza crust 5-6 black olives, sliced
1 medium loose white mushroom, chopped
mozzarella cheese, shredded (Use your own judgement.  I don't like a lot of cheese.)
dried oregano (Just go crazy.)
red pepper flakes
homemade sauce (see recipe above)

DIRECTIONS - PIZZA
1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2.  Spread the sauce on the crust.
3.  Sprinkle the cheese.
4.  Add the olives and mushrooms.
5.  Sprinkle the oregano.
6.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.  I prefer to use stoneware.  It bakes evenly and gives it a good flavor, especially if you're making your own crust.
7.  Devour guilt-free knowing you created your own edible masterpiece.

How do you like your pizza?  Please share!

2 comments: