Saturday, December 08, 2012

Mommy-inspired Chicken Curry

Growing up, my favorite dish was chicken curry.  Not just any chicken curry. My mommy's chicken curry.  I could and did eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I've had many versions of chicken curry, but hers is by far the best.  Fact.  : )

When I recently told some friends about her magical concoction they were curious and wanted the recipe.  I believe that all good things should be shared whenever possible, and so does my mommy.  When I asked her for permission to share her recipe she did not hesitate to say, "Yes."  So she told me how she makes it and I stored it in my phone.  I then made it myself.  It was close to the taste of hers, but definitely not the same.  That's because hers has mommy's magical touch, which cannot be duplicated.  And so I share with you my Mommy-inspired Chicken Curry.  The actual perfect recipe cannot be duplicated unless my mommy comes to cook for you and adds her magical touch.  This is why I call it mommy-inspired.

The recipe below is how I made it.  You can change the amount of chicken or use dark meat.  You can also adjust the amount of spices to suit your taste.  I like it medium spicy.

Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 onion, chopped
oil (one turn of the pan)
1/4 cup curry powder
4 teaspoons garam masala
1 clove garlic, minced
2 wiri wiri peppers (or whichever peppers your prefer)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tomato, diced
Sprinkle of ground cumin
Salt to taste (a little goes a long way)
Water - enough to cover the chicken
Yum!

Directions:
1.  Fry the chicken with salt and onions.  Add oil if you are using white meat.
2.  Add curry powder, garam masala, garlic, and tomato paste.  Let it fry until dry.
3.  Add enough water to cover the chicken.
4.  Cover pan.  Let it simmer on low.
5.  Add tomato.
6.  Sprinkle with ground cumin.
7.  Serve with white rice or Indian bread.
8.  Devour!
Mommy-inspired chicken curry with white rice and wild rice,
served on a plate given to me by Stephanie.
 I would love to know what your favorite dishes are.  Please share below!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will try this and maybe I can inspire my mommy to cook it for my dad. He loves curry. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out. I forgot to say in the post if you make changes let me know. Maybe it will give me some ideas. :)

      Delete
  2. I know it's been a month since this post, but I just made this for dinner and it's so very delicious! So many aromas, like going on an adventure trip. Only problem I had was that I couldn't find any garam masala at the store, but I looked up the ingredients and made my own mix.
    5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so touched that you made this and updated me on it. I'm glad you enjoyed it and my mom will be glad to know she has touched someone else too. :-)

      Delete