Saturday, September 01, 2012

Five Feline Life Lessons

Meet Candy.  In January she will be eight years old.  It's hard to believe it's been that long since the summer day I walked into the animal shelter looking to adopt a kitten.  She was six months old when we met.  The volunteers at the animal shelter seemed to know Candy and I were meant for each other.  That was her given name at the shelter.  It seemed to suit her well, as sweet as she is. 

I sat in a chair and they gently set her in my lap.  Candy did what has become her trademark drop and roll in my lap, twisting her head as if trying to see the world from a different point of view.  She began purring as she drifted off to her dreams.  That was it.  I didn't need to look anymore.  Candy had already chosen me as her catmom and I was honored to take on this responsibility. 

Humans can learn so much from their pets if we just take the time to really observe them.  Candy is no exception.  She has taught me so much in her almost eight years of life.  Here are a few valuable lessons she has taught me.


Sleep on your back as often as possible.


Get your vitamin D.  You don't need a lot.
 
Smile often, even when you've made a mess of things.

Look important and sit up straight.

Take time to just sit and observe the world.
I may never meet the person who found Candy and brought her into the warmth of the animal shelter to help her find a home, but I will be forever grateful for that caring soul.

Do you have pets?  If so, what have you learned from them?

7 comments:

  1. Candy is very cute! You forgot 'stare at empty food bowl until servants feed you' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, hmmmm...if only it worked like that for humans too! She does do that though. Lol. :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm happy to see that Candy has gotten a photo shoot on your blog. She's made the big time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post!! It reminds me of a book I saw in my vet's office years ago: "All I Need to Know I Learned from my Cat." Precious book - each page has a drawn picture depicting the "life lessons" such as, "Get plenty of rest," "Wash your hands," "Do some stretching each day," etc.

    Since my Kali was somehow rescued or relinquished during Hurricane Katrina, I have often wondered about her former home. She was approximately 2 years old when I adopted her and had obviously been an indoor cat and well-cared for as she was declawed, spayed, and chipped. I can't imagine how frightened she must have been during the transport from the Gulf areas to the Orlando Humane Society, but on the day I met her she was very easy-going and calm. Unless she's indignant about the length of time between her meals, she is a very calm cat which is the most important thing I have learned from her.

    For example, when I have a doctor's appointment, even if it is just to get the results of some non-scary regular test, while I'm waiting for the doctor in the examining room my eyes are darting to all the items that look like they could be used for torture or read the posters that explain how to recognize if one is having a stroke and can feel myself tensing by the second. On the other hand, when Kali is in a similar situation at the vet, she hops up on the windowsill and enjoys watching the activity outside; not a bit concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I have that book. :) Staying calm is an important life lesson we can both learn from our cats. I can't say Qandi is that calm at the vet, but otherwise she is. For example, thunderstorms make me nervous, but she is not bothered by them at all. :)

      Delete